A collection of information of events and occupants, gleaned from archives, census forms, newspapers and past and present residents.
Feel free to contact me if you have further information of the history of these cottages, or that you feel I have made errors.
After moving into one of these cottages, we had a feeling that because of their age they would have seen many changes and inhabitants over the years. We decided to investigate and see what information is still around that could reveal the history and origin of these cottages. Whilst there is much ‘Family Tree’ research done, just to be different I decided to research the history of ‘Our House’.
A bit of history….
The town of Saltburn-by-the-Sea as it is today was founded in the 1860s by the Darlington entrepreneur Henry Pease. However the history of the area goes back much further.
The name Saltburn first appears following the Anglo-Saxon invasion and is derived from the Saxon name for the local stream, Sealt-Burna, or ‘salty stream’.
The earliest evidence of Anglo-Saxons in the Tees area was found at Hob Hill, the hill overlooking Oxclose Cottages. The cemetery was discovered in 1909 by miners quarrying for ironstone. Much of the material was recorded and collected as the workmen uncovered it.
The finds from the cemetery include bead necklaces, pottery vessels, brooches, a spearhead and a throwing axe. Many of the burials at Hob Hill were cremations placed in urns.
It is one of the most northerly of Anglo-Saxon burial sites in England and contained mixed inhumations and cremations. It is presumed the people buried there were outlying settlers of the Anglo Saxon region called Deira and spent their lives in the Skelton area, possibly using Skelton beck as a water supply.
The 49 burials, laid out in rows, contained articles, which date the site to the 5th/6th centuries. 300 years later the invading Vikings changed the name of the stream to ‘Skelton Beck’, but the name of the settlement remained, giving its name to the modern town of Saltburn-by-the-Sea.
Ox Close cottages were in the parish of Marske as previously stated, but are currently in the township of Saltburn by the Sea which has since 1873 been an ecclesiastical parish, and under the Local Government Act of 1894 was created a civil parish. The Cottages were situated in the south-east of the parish of Marske between Skelton Beck on the east, and Pit Hill Stell on the west.
It is not known as yet as to when Ox Close farm was built, but a few scripts remain about the land around the area. One of the fields adjacent to Ox Close Farm was called Corby Dales.
The following is part of a transcript of a lease from the Pennyman archives possibly referring to this field.
Lease for 21 years.
1. James Pennyman of Ormsby Esq.
2. Francis Bennyson, Yeoman of Redcar and William Bennyson Yeoman of Redcar
Two thirds of messuage (A dwelling house along with it's outbuildings and the grounds it stood in) in which the lessees live, with house, barns, (etc), and two thirds part of four oxgangs with farm (An oxgang was the amount of land tillable by one ox in a ploughing season. This could vary from village to village, but was typically around 15 to 20 acres so total area would have been up to 60 acres), of arable, meadow and pasture and Corbydell Close all in Marske and with common of turbery and turfegraft (permission to collect peat and turf, this was used as fuel for cooking etc. when wood was scarce) on Skelton Moor. £14 and two hens at Christmas.
In addition there were covenants including one that stated that: “the lessees shall grind their corn at the Lords Mill”
Dated 8 November 1648. [Ref. ZNK V 2/2/99 MIC 1251]
This shows that there was a farm and outbuildings somewhere in the Ox Close area in the reign of Charles I (1600-1649). The £14 mentioned would relate to over £1000 today.
This next transcript shows a lease from the Pennyman estate in 1649. This may be an early record of Marske Mill. The two areas of Rifts and Ox Close farms, adjoined either side of the current Marske Mill Lane. Marske Mill was situated at the far end of this road in Rifts Wood and was used as a mill until the 1920’s but eventually demolished in 1971.
Lease for 13 years, from James Pennyman of Ormsby, Esq. to Philip Hesseltine of Marske, miller. 2 Watermills standing in 1 parcel of ground called Ox Close, Marske, with a field or close called the Rifts, lately belonging to Joseph Rodgers of Marske with common of turberry and turfegraft on Skelton Moor. Rent £46 and 1 good hen at Christmas. 31st July 1649.
The Manor of Marske by Sea was owned from 1756 by Edward Wilson of Dalham Tower and George, Thomas and Daniel Wilson his brothers in equal shares. Edward, Thomas and Daniel sold their shares in 1762 to Lawrence Dundas, (1712-1781) a vastly wealthy entrepreneur born in Scotland who was buying land and property in various areas of the country and was probably already the owner of the other quarter.
From this date Marske has descended in the Dundas family, the Marquess of Zetland being the present Lord of the Manor of Marske. (Read later in this story for details of the Dundas family and the ownership of the manor before it was owned by the Wilson brothers).
In 1773 Sir Lawrence Dundas had his entire Cleveland estate mapped:
‘An Accurate Plan Of
Sir Lawrence Dundas BARTs
At Marske and Upleatham in Cleveland
In the North Riding of the County
By Geo Jackson of Richmond
This section of map show Ox Close farm at this date, along with Windy Hill Farm, Hob Hill Farm and Rifts Farm. Note that the road passes Ox Close and continues past the farm and on to Rifts where it halts.
It would be almost a hundred years before Saltburn becomes the town we know now.
In another survey made in 1815 by Thomas Bradley of Richmond, a full record of the operations of the farms in the area was prepared. The records show that in this year Oxclose Farm was run by Robert Suggett, who was born in Durham in 1785, but he came from a long line of farmers all born in the Marske area.
His family can be traced back to a Roberti Sugget, his 5th great grandfather, who was born in 1552. Robert was here with his wife Elizabeth Suggett (ne Patterson, who was from Upleatham) and their sons Robert, b.1811, and William, b.1815. In this year the total area of the farm was just over 152 acres and had a yearly value of £169.16s.2d.
Robert Suggett is listed as being a juror in the court rolls of 1812, so he must have moved into the area, possibly this farm, before this time. Sometime before 1835, Robert had moved to Pontak Farm in New Marske, and his son William was running nearby Horse Close Farm at Marske with his brother Robert. (Robert Suggett snr. died in 1859 and was buried in Kirkleatham on 22 February of that year. His wife Elizabeth continued to run Pontak farm and was there in 1861.)
Ox Close farm by 1835 was in the management of brothers John and Isaac Duncalf and their sister Jane, originally from the village of Sessay near Thirsk.
In November 1835 John Duncalf was shown as paying £174 per year to the Dundas Estate, for the rent of Oxclose farm. (£87 per half year. Payments due on Lady Day – 25th March and Micklemas Day – 29th September). Using the Retail Price Index this amount of £174 would relate to about £6,000 per year in 2008.
[John Duncalf (1799 – 1871) Son of Joseph and Margaret Duncalf. To the same parents were born Isaac (1802–1853), and Mary b. 1792. Jane Duncalf 1794 - 1862. All burials were at St Germain /St Mark, Marske.]
In 1837 John Duncalf was sworn in as a juror according to the Court Rolls of the time. All the farmers of the area were on this list. The court itself was held at the house of William Bullman in Marske. (At the beginning of the nineteenth century individual justices of the peace frequently tried summary offences in their own home. Many of the houses of the gentry contained a justice room for this purpose. This practice became less common by the 1830's and was abolished by The Summary Jurisdiction Act, 1848.)
On October 14th 1843, according the Court Rolls, there must have been some dissent with the men eligible to be jurors. On this date fifty six men, including the entire local farm tenants, were each fined 6 shillings for refusing to appear at court. Further investigation is required about this event!
The national Census taken on 7 June of 1841 shows that at ‘Ox Close’ lived
John Duncalfe, aged 40 a Farmer: Jane Duncalfe, 47, and Isaac Duncalfe, 39.
At this time, the earnings from the farm must have been reasonable as there were two servants employed here:
Cuthbert Wilde, 20, Man servant and Sarah Sanders, 14, Female servant.
The Duncalf(e) brothers kept a wide range of farm animals and their horses were frequent exhibited at agricultural shows, competing with the likes of Sir William Pennyman of Ormesby Hall. (They came second to him in 1841 for ‘best mare in foal for Breeding, Hack or Hunter”).
Apart from a 10% half year discount given in 1843 to all the Dundas farm tenants (£78 paid by John Duncalf), this rental remained unchanged until 1849 when an increase was made to cover the costs of drainage in the fields. Oxclose rent went up to. £87.4s.9d. and £90.18s.7d for consecutive half years.
From 1850 to 1854 rental costs were £81 to 85 per half year.
In 1854 and 1855 the rental was £107.16s.10d. Using the RPI this would relate to a value of £7,460. This is less than the rent that was paid twenty years earlier. If the rental was related to the output of the farm it seems that this output was very much reduced and in fact no rental at all was collected the following year.
The Census taken on 30 March 1851 shows that none of the Duncalf family had married and the house was being managed by them rather than outside help:
John Duncalfe, Head, unmarried, 51, Farmer of 152 acres, of Sessay, Yorkshire
Isaac Duncalfe, Brother, unmarried, 48, of Sessay, Yorkshire
Jane Duncalfe, Sister, unmarried, 56, Housekeeper, of Sessay, Yorkshire
Richard Bell, Nephew, unmarried, 26, Servant, of Tholthorpe, Yorkshire.
This map shows the extent of the farm in 1851.
(Enhanced to show the details of accompanying records).
Oxclose Farm pre 1870
The ironstone mine at Upleatham Hills, on the far side of Hob Hill, was in production by 1851, with the ore being transported through New Marske down to the coast. Messrs. Pease were eager to extract the valuable mineral wealth of the hills by another, cheaper method and extending the railway from Redcar provided an ideal solution. The new railway cut a swathe across the fields of Oxclose Farm, and the link between the railway and the new entrance into the ironstone workings further degraded the workable area of the fields. (Much of The Ings fields would have been taken over by the mining works). And in 1853 Issac Duncalf died. Perhaps as a result of all the above, John Duncalf and his sister Jane decided to give up the running of what was now an unprofitable farm and to go into retirement.
There is no record in of any farm rental being paid to the Zetland Estates in 1856 and a notice was placed in the York Herald of Saturday 5th April 1856 announcing the auction of the entire contents of the farm. This also gives us an accurate inventory and an idea of the life of John Duncalf and his work on Oxclose Farm.
This sketch gives some idea how Oxclose Farm may have looked when fully working, before the barn to the right was demolished and replaced by the additional four cottages about 1870. Still leaving the byre and cart house to the rear.
Ironstone Mining and the coming of the railway.
(The end of Oxclose Farm?)
This map shows the extent of the railway construction in 1857. Saltburn has no buildings apart from some that are railway related. Rifts farm is still there, but again many of the fields have been cut in half by the construction works and Rifts farm too will soon disappear. The new road to run through Saltburn, later to be called ‘Windsor Road’, is also shown.
Adjacent to Ox Close is the beginnings of a branch line which will later be extended up to the ironstone mine on Hob Hill.
Ox Close 1857
After his retirement John and Jane moved to Marske and on May 13th 1859 John Duncalf took out a 99yr lease from Mary Griffiths for No2 Bellevue Terrace in Marske by Sea, at a rental of £1.8s.0d. According to the 1861 census John a retired farmer aged 61 and Jane Duncalf aged 67, were living in High Street, Marske. Jane died in February of 1862 and was buried with her brother Isaac.
The Census taken on 7 April 1861 shows new occupants of Oxclose Farm but this time occupied by a farm labourer not a farmer. The first reference is also made to the ‘Lodge’. This must have been built between 1851 and 1861. This was a reasonably large brick built detached house located to the rear of the farm. The Lodge was demolished in the 1960s when the new housing estate was to be constructed on Wilton Bank. The house would have stood near the junction of Liverton Whin and Wilton Bank roads.
1861 Census, Ox Close.
Joseph Mitchinson,Head, married, 42, Ag Labourer, from Guisborough, Yorkshire.
Jane Mitchinson, Wife, married, 38, from Cleasby, Durham.
Esther Mitchinson, Visiting friends, 20, from Durham
John Mitchinson, son, 14 Driver, b Stapleton, Durham
Elizabeth Mitchinson, daughter, 11, b Barmpton, Durham
(Joseph Mitchinson married Jane Brown in 1843 in Darlington.
Ten years previously, Joseph Mitchinson was living at Barmpton near Darlington with Jane, their three children and Jane’s sister Esther. Joseph was an agricultural labourer.)
Robert Robinson was an agricultural worker living in the Keeper’s Lodge at this time (1861). The census reads:
Robert Robinson, Head, married, 48, agricultural labourer, b. Guisborough, Yorkshire
Isabella Robinson, Wife, married, 48, b. Darlington Durham
Mary Robinson, Daughter, 12, scholar, b. Norton Durham
Robert Robinson, Son, 10, Scholar, b. Crathorne, Yorkshire
Thomas Robinson, son, 8, scholar, b. Crathorne, Yorkshire
Henry Robinson, Son, 6, b. Berwick, Northumberland
Joseph Mitchinson, grandson, 2, b. Seamer, Yorkshire
Elizabeth Boutiman, Mother, Widow, 85, a labourer’s widow, b. Eston, Yorkshire
[research shows: Robert Robinson: b. 1813 Guisborough. His father was John Robinson, mother Ann. Robert, when aged 25, married Isabella Mitchinson 1838 in Guisborough. In the following census (1871) Robert and Isabella were living in Seamer, North Riding Yorkshire].
1870 seems to be the turning point of Oxclose Farm. According to the ledger entry there were no tenants here and the area of the farm was at that time reduced to 98 acres, 1 rood, and 5 poles. (1 acre = 4 roods, 1 rood = 40 poles), which shows that the farm was only two thirds of the size it was in 1815. Corngrave farm, situated on the hill to the rear of Oxclose, seems to have absorbed some of Oxclose land, so we can presume that the Dundas estate managers rented out more of the fields to that farm.
Also at this time, the barn adjacent to the farm house was demolished, leaving only the house and sections of the other two barns to the rear of the farm. This was to make way for the additional four terraced cottages built adjacent to the farm house. As this was at the most productive time of the ironstone mining, this was possibly aimed at providing housing for workers from the nearby mine.
In 1870 the number of fields belonging to the farm was down to just five fields: Great Hob Hill (663); Little Hob Hill (664); Carby Dales (665 and 661) and Ings (726).
Brick Kiln Field (757) was listed as being worked by Thomas Parrott of Oxclose Lodge and Oxclose Field (756) was listed as allotments.
The buildings to the rear of the cottages were not being used for any farming requirements in 1876 as the Estate manager, a Mr Mavins was advertising the buildings and yard as being ‘To Let’ in the Northern Echo dated the 13th April
of that year.
It would have previously been uneconomic to transport the ore by road, or sea, but once the rail system was in place and transportation was available the mine was opened, and in 1864 work began to extract the ironstone. At its peak an output of 1400 tons per day were removed and carried down the rail track past Ox Close Farm. It was later stated in 1879 that that the mine had produced a total output of almost two and a quarter million tons of ironstone and over 250 men were working there at times. Operation ceased in 1875 when the mine was exhausted. It was reopened for a short while between 1902 and Jan 1914, and again about 1920. But the relatively small amounts of ore that were extracted from open cast mining were carried away by aerial ropeway to the Upleatham mine which was still in operation. This would mean that the cottages would not be needed by the mine workers, and so were rented out for domestic usage.
The Stockton and Darlington Railway was amalgamated into the North Eastern Railway in July 1863. The following map shows the extension of the railway which carried the ironstone from Hob Hill Mines. A level crossing is shown which carried the railway across the main road, and the line which if there now would run up the lane to the Four Seasons Nursing Home, by the side of the petrol station.
Henry Pease had the foresight to know that the ironstone would run out, and in his wisdom could see that another use for the soon to be redundant railway was to use the rail link to service a new ‘seaside’ town. This was to be the development of Saltburn by the Sea.
Stockton and Darlington Railway extended their line to Middlesbrough, Redcar and then onto Saltburn. This railway had great support from Messrs. Pease, who principally wanted the line to enable the large quantities firstly of coal, then ironstone in the area to be transported away from the mines. The extension of the line into Saltburn now made it practical to extract the ironstone from the hill to the rear of Oxclose Cottages (Hob Hill).
Map of Ox Close Farm as it would have been between 1864 and 1870.
In 1870 a ‘Survey of Farms and Holdings’ was made by Messrs. Martin and Fenwick on behalf of the Dundas Estate. The following plan shows the layout of the farm on this map.
All the buildings of the farm seem to still be on this plan and this means that the four additional cottages added to the farmhouse must have been added very soon after this date, as on 2 April 1871 the census shows that two separate families were living in the cottages and one family in the Lodge. The cottages were probably initially built to house workers at the adjacent Hob Hill ironstone mine, along with the now redundant farm house. The remnants of the farm now being worked from the Keepers Lodge by Thomas Parrott.
Rough plan of Ox Close Farm taken from a plan of 1870.
This shows the farm, Keeper’s Cottage and the pond to the rear of this cottage. The farm was at this time still intact but vastly changed shortly afterwards. I m not sure what the two items are that are marked with a question mark. Any ideas?
Family one in the 1871 census was:
Joseph Trowsdale, 48, an agricultural labourer born in Kirby Knowle, Yorkshire. His wife Grace, also 48, from Thirsk, and their daughter Elizabeth Hannah, aged 11. Elizabeth was also born in Thirsk. In 1861 Joseph and Grace were living at Upsall Nr Thirsk. Joseph was a gamekeeper. Joseph died in 1875. Grace then worked as Head Laundry maid at the Zetland Hotel in Saltburn and continued to live in the area. She died in 1907 at the age of 86. Daughter Elizabeth moved away and was working as a parlour maid at Holegate Lodge, Micklegate, York in 1891.
Family number two was:
John Robinson, age 38, a steam ploughman (and previously a labourer on the railway) from Easingwold: His wife Ann, also of the same village: Daughter Elizabeth age 13: John, age 11: Ann aged 9: William Robinson 7: Richard, 6, and Thomas Robinson, who was 1 year old. Nothing much more is known of this family.
It is not listed as to who was living in the old farmhouse and who was in one of the new cottages.
Occupying the Lodge in 1871 was the Parrott Family.
Thomas Parrott was the head of the family. Aged 40, he was a Game keeper born in Prestbury Cheshire. His wife Elizabeth (nee Wretham), was 30 and born in Westacre in Suffolk.
Their son, James Parrott was 16 years old, born in Brandon, Suffolk. And their daughter Emma Parrott who was11 and also born in Brandon.
James married Maria Louisa Grass in 1875, and in 1891 they were living in Loftus with four children. Maria died aged 46 in 1899.
Apart from James, the rest of the family were also in the Lodge during the next census in 1881.
In the census of 1871 David Fisher was a brick maker living at the School House, Saltburn, with his wife Jane, Shadrack Fisher his son, age 13; Mary J Fisher, his daughter, age 10; and James McVeigh, 4. James was an adopted son, born in Skelton.
By 1881 he had moved into number 2 Ox Close (which was the original farm house. Number one being the Keepers Lodge). The rent he paid for the house was £8.0s.0d. Per year.
In the next census of 1891 the Fisher family had moved out of the cottage and David was the church verger, living at 8 Lune Street in Saltburn with his wife Jane and their daughter Mary. Mary was working as a domestic servant, aged 30.
David Fisher’s neighbours in 1881 were:
No 3. On census night was Uninhabited. Although in 1883, according to the rental payments, J W Hutton was renting the house. The rental was £6.0s.0d and £1.0s.0d for stable rental.
No 4. Oxclose was Margaret Hutchinson, a widow aged 39 who on the night of the census had a visitor from Hull - Margaret Cade, 12 years old. House rental for No 4 was £6.0s.0d.
(In 1885 the rental ledger shows change of tenant from Hutchinson to R Alcock.)
Living in number 5 Oxclose in 1881 was Emma Poll, her son Walter and daughter Louisa. Emma Poll (nee Ford) was a widow aged 32, originally from East Knoyle in Wiltshire. She married George Poll in June 1875 at Emmanuel Church Saltburn. Sadly George died, aged 33, just a few weeks before the census was taken. He was buried at St Marks in Marske. George was a worker on the Dundas Estate and after his death Emma did not pay rent for the house for any of the 26 years she stayed there. (Many occupants of the cottages worked for the estate and seemed to be well cared for). Emma did not remarry.
Living in No 6 Oxclose was John Palmeston Whitehead, aged 56, a Labourer from Leeds and his wife Mary. Their son, Thomas Whitehead, was 17 yrs old and worked as a gardener, possibly on the Dundas estate. This family too paid £6.0s.0d in 1883.
Keepers Cottage Oxclose 1881.
Thomas Parrott was still living here, and still working as a gamekeeper. Living with his wife, Elizabeth Parrott, and Emma Parrott their daughter. Emma was 21 years old and single.
In 1885 Elizabeth Parrott died aged 44. In 1890, Emma had a daughter, Alice, and on 8th June 1891 Emma married Robert Fenwick at Emmanuel Church Saltburn. Sadly Emma died the following year possibly in childbirth. Robert left the area after this event and moved to Lincolnshire to where his parents were then living after they moved from Guisborough. Robert remarried, a Sarah Jane Clifton, in 1893. Alice Fenwick, his daughter by Emma, turns up in the 1901 census still living with Robert’s mother in Lincoln.
Moving on to 1891, living in No 2 Ox Close was the Hutton family.
John Hutton, 32, a Joiner, was born in Hinderwell 12 Aug 1858. His wife Jane Elizabeth (nee Nicholson) aged 32 from Upleatham, and their children Maud M Hutton, aged 5; John Charles Hutton, 3; and Dora E Hutton, aged 5 months. These children were born in Saltburn so it is possible that this family moved into the cottage in or before 1886.
Next door to the Huttons, living in No 3 were another Hutton family. The head of the household was John Hutton (Snr), the father of the tennant of No 2.
John Hutton (Snr), 64, also a Joiner born in Hinderwell. His wife Elizabeth, 61, was born in Roxby. Also their daughter Sarah J Hutton, 35.
With them in the house was May Hutton, grand daughter, 11; Stephen Hopps, 13 Charles Hopps, 11. Stephen and Charles were the grand children of John Hutton (snr). John’s daughter, Mary Ann Hutton, married a Stephen Hopps in 1876 at Emmanuel Church, Saltburn. But Stephen died in 1879 aged 28. Their home at the time was 9 Dundas Street, Saltburn, where their mother was living.
Number 4, in 1891 housed the Alcock family. Robert Alcock was born in the town of Ramsey in Huntingdonshire. He was a railway signalman and moved into No 4 in 1885 two years after he married Elizabeth Mary Wood of Loftus on 15th November 1883. They married at Emmanuel Church, Saltburn. Mable Ann was born in January 1889.
Number 5 was still occupied by Emma Poll and her daughter Louisa, as ten years previously.
Number 6 was still occupied by John P. Whitehead and his wife Mary. Their son Thomas was not there but their other son James was. James worked on the railways as a locomotive engine stoker. John died in 1893 aged 67. His widow must have moved out before 1896 as a new family had moved in by then but she stayed in the area until her death in 1899 aged 73. Her son James married a Lydia Turner, born in Brighouse but in 1891 she was staying with her aunt in Saltburn. James and Lydia married in 1896 and in the 1901 census they had moved to Middlesbrough. Perhaps James’ mother lived with James and Lydia until her death in 1899. Lydia died in 1909 aged 49 years.
Thomas Parrott was still living in the Keepers Lodge in 1891 and listed in ‘Bulmers Directory’ of 1990 as being a farmer. Now a widower, as Elizabeth had died in 1885, he was there with Emma and her daughter Alice aged 1. Emma married in June of this year and moved out, leaving Thomas on his own. It seems that Thomas moved out of the Lodge as in the next census there is another tenant here. He also must have moved out of the area as he remarried in London. His new wife was Emma Edwards (maiden name of Spurrell, as she had previously been married to Samuel Edwards, who had died in 1893 in London.) Emma had 9 children, one of the children was John, born in 1889 in London. John returned with Thomas and Emma, to Saltburn sometime after 1901.
On to the 1901 census. Taken on 31st March.
Ox Close Lodge occupants were a Richard Richardson, aged 30, a Farmer and milk seller originally from South Bank. His wife Mary Richardson, 23, from Loftus. And their children Florrie aged 4, and Richard, 1. As both children were born here the Richardsons probably moved here in 1897.
Living in No 2 was still the Hutton family. John Hutton , head, 42, still working as a Joiner.
Jane Eliz Hutton his wife Maud, now 15 and a draper’s apprentice. And the two younger children John and Dora. There was also the latest addition to the family, Ida M Hutton, born in 1894.
On the night or the census 1901 the tenants of No 3 were away and the house was empty. John Hutton (Snr) died in 1900, his widow died in 1906. It can be assumed that the Huttons were still renting this house as William moved in here sometime before 1911, possibly when his father or his mother died.
Number 4 still housed the Alcock Family. Robert Alcock, still working as a signalman on the railway now aged 44. Elizabeth M Alcock, his wife; Mable Ann, Evelyn Mary and Blanch Elizabeth their daughters, were here with Robert.
Robert Alcock died the following year, 1902, age 45 the cause of death being suicide. It was apparently totally unexpected and did not leave any indication as to why he would take his own life. Mabel Ann moved and worked away from home about this time and in 1911 she was living in accommodation in Bradford and working as a spinner. She emigrated to Canada in 1912 along with her friend Mary Regan with whom was living in the same accommodation in Bradford 1911 and on the 2 Apr 1913 Mabel married Charles Stafford Dobbyn in Melita, Manitoba, and went on to have 5 children, two girls and 4 boys. Mable Ann died in 1967 and Charles in 1984.
In Number 5 Oxclose 1901 still lived Emma Poll, now 54. She was now working as a Laundress according to the census. This is the first time that Emma was shown to be working, times must have been getting hard. Louisa her daughter was now aged 22 and unmarried.
Louisa later married a John Knaggs in August of 1904, and moved to Skelton. They had a daughter Edith May Knaggs in 1906 and in this same year Emma Poll died at the age of 57. As far as I can tell Edith May did not marry. She remained in the area and died in 1990.
Ox Close No 6 Housed John Myers, a widower aged 30, and his 3 year old daughter Ethel. John was a railway platelayer working for NER and was born in Yarm. Ethel was born in Saltburn in 1898 and was two years old when her mother, Alice May (nee Seaman) died. John had married Alice in 1896 and she was only 24 when she died. John’s parents were living at Tofts Cottages, just along the road from Oxclose towards Marske.
Number 2, John Hutton was paying £8.12s.0d rent for Cottage, garden and pigsty.
Number 3, Mrs Hutton was paying £6.12s.0d rent for cottage and garden.
Number 4, Mrs Alcock was paying £7.12s.0d rent for cottage and garden.
Number 5 occupied by a Mrs Walton who was paying £7.12s.0d rent for cottage and garden.
Number 6 J T Myers, was also paying £7.12s.0d rent for cottage and garden.
There was a Byre and Stackyard free of rent to Wm Hutton.
Re. No5: In 1891 John Walton was a horse dealer and living in Foundry Street in Guisborough with his wife Harriet and eight children – would have been a tight squeeze as this was a terraced house! John was born John Walton Taylor in 1848 to William Walton and Elizabeth Taylor both of Guisborough. For whatever reason the family used both surnames at various times but most seemed to have dropped the Taylor surname sometime between 1891 and 1900.
John must have had a good business head, as in 1901 the road had been renamed as Walton Terrace (the short road leading to Morrisons’s car park), could he have been buying up the houses there? Business must have been profitable as the family moved to Saltburn where in 1911 the newly built ‘Walton Villa’ (later renamed as “Mulgrave Villa”), a large detached house adjacent to Oxclose Cottages is where we find Harriet Walton and four of her sons. John is not on the census as he died in Saltburn 30 Mar 1909 aged 64. This would also explain why various members of the large Walton family are renting No’s 5 and or 6 Oxclose at various times in the next 20 years, i.e. No 6 has Harry Walton living there in 1926, No5 has Arthur Walton from 1926 to 1930 then Thomas Walton and his family during the mid 1930s. Mrs Walton who was renting No 5 in 1908 could have been John’s wife, Harriet; or possibly Ann, the wife of Johns’ son, John William Walton who married in 1901.
John Walton seemed to be an unpleasant character and appeared before magistrates on numerous occasions. In 1875 he was charged with being ‘drunk and riotous’, and in 1876 was charged by his wife, Harriet, with assaulting her. She stated that she had frequently abused her for many years. This cost him £20 and was bound over to keep the peace for six months. In 1877 he was again back in court for attacking Harriet, this time by using his fists and finally hitting her over the head with a poker. This got him committed to Northallerton Gaol for six months with hard labour. 1881 saw John back in court when his father William sued him for not repaying a loan made by William to John. The next time John Walton was back in court he was sat at the other side of the Bench, as in 1893 he was actually made a magistrate for the North Riding of Yorkshire!!
The 1908 ledgers from the Dundas archive show the following rental payments made by the occupiers. Also that as of 1904 a charge of 12s per year, in addition to the rent, was paid for water rates.
The 1911 Census
The entry for Oxclose Lodge shows the return of Thomas Parrott. Now 81 years old and remarried in 1897, he was listed as a farmer and employer. Emma Parrott, his wife aged 67 born in Westacre, Norfolk in 1844. (Westacre was the same village that his first wife Elizabeth came from.) Also living here was John Edwards, aged 24, single and manager of the farm. Born in London in 1887, John (known as Jack) was one of nine children of Emma and her previous husband Samuel. Here too was Ernie Edwards, grandson, aged 9, also born in London, and Florie Edwards, grand-daughter, 15, born in Loftus.
Thomas Parrott seems to have had close associations with the Edwards family. Emma Edwards first husband Samuel was a milk carrier and they lived in Bromley, London in 1891 and before that in Wakefield in 1881. Emma’s children included Elizabeth who was born in Guisborough in 1874; Francis born in Stanghow 1876; Samuel Jnr who was born in Marske by Sea 1878. Samuel Snr’s father, also called Samuel was born in Beeston, Norfolk but lived then died in 24 Charltons Cottages, Charltons, in 1891. So there seems to have been close associations with this area and more than likely with the Parrott family. Thomas Parrott died in 1916. John (Jack) Edwards married Evelyn Mary Alcock from No 4 Oxclose Cottages in 1921, and they both lived in the Lodge. Both appear here on the 1918 electoral roll.
Number 2 Oxclose occupants: John Hutton, head, 52, Married 25 years, Joiner and employer. Jane Elizabeth Hutton his wife, John Charles Hutton, now 23 and single, also working as a joiner. Dora Elizabeth Hutton, daughter, 20, single and working as a confectioner. Ida Mary Hutton aged 17. The census form shows there were six rooms in the original farmhouse, not including the landing, scullery or bathroom.
Number 3 Oxclose occupants were William Hutton aged 49. William was there with his wife of 21yrs, Dorothy Elizabeth Hutton, 47 (nee Cook), born in Northallerton. There also were Doris Mary Hutton, 20, Single and Mable Alice Hutton, 17, single, their daughters. William was the brother of John Hutton who lived next door at no 2. William probably moved in here when his parents died between 1900 and 1906.
Number 4 tenants in 1911 were, as in 1901, the Alcock family. Elizabeth Mary Alcock, widow, aged 50, working as a laundress and also now an employer. Evelyn Mary Alcock her daughter, who was now 19, and Blanche Alcock, her daughter, now aged 16. Elizabeth had also taken in a boarder in this census, a William Phillips, a married clerk of works for the council. He was born in Blackfriars, London.
Evelyn Mary later married Jack Edwards of Ox Close Lodge (in 1921).
Blanche married Norman Smith of Saltburn in 1922. (Blanche died aged 80 on 12 July 1975. Norman died 8th November 1979 aged 96. Their son Norman Robert Smith was born in 1922 and married Agnes Wilford of Skelton 1949.Their daughter Rona Blanche Smith was born in 1925, and married Wilfred Snaith of Lingdale 1948. After living many years living in various locations Rona is now living back in Saltburn and has given vital information into the lives of the people of Oxclose).
No 5. This census shows that after the death of Emma Poll in 1906, William Day and his family moved here from their home at 13 Ruby Street, Saltburn. William was 42, and had been married to Mary Elizabeth for 15 yrs. He originally came from Sandiacre, Derbyshire. Mary Elizabeth Day (nee. Sutton) was born in Saltburn in 1865, the daughter of John H Sutton, a foreman railway porter who worked for North Eastern Railways. They had two sons and two daughters; Alvery Dodsley Day, son, age 14; Henry Dodsley Day, son, age 10; June D Day (I presume also Dodsley?), aged 12; and Catherine , aged 8.
Alvery Dodsley Day enlisted in the ‘Green Howards’ - 4th Battalion Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment as a private (No. 201854) at Saltburn. Sadly he was killed in action 27 May 1918 in France aged 21. His name is on the Soissons Memorial which commemorates the 4000 British troops who died in the battles of Aisne and Marne. By 1918 Mr. and Mrs. Day had moved to No 20 Montrose Street in Saltburn.
And the last house of the 1911 census was No 6, John Thomas Myers was here, as in 1901 with his daughter Ethel now aged 13. John was now employed as an Ironstone miner, and had not remarried after the death of his wife, Alice in 1900.
John’s parents had also come to live in the house. John’s father, Obed Myers, was 68 and a farm labourer, originally from Bridlington. And his wife Jane Myers (nee Clark) was 61. Obed and Jane had been living in Tofts Cottages just down the Marske Road at least since 1881 where they were listed in the census of that year.
Both John Thomas and then Obed Myers died in 1917. No record has been found regarding a marriage of Ethel, but it is possible that she did not marry as a Ethel Myers died in Cleveland in 1943 and would have been about the correct age as our Ethel.
1930– from electoral roll
Ox Close – John William Edwards and Evelyn Mary
No2 John Charles (Charlie) Hutton
No 3 Dorothy Elizabeth Hutton with Doris Mary and Mable Alice – also Maud Hutton.
No4 Norman Smith
No5 Arthur J Walton and Averil Walton (Arthur married Averil Annie Featherstone of Charltons, in 1913)
No6 Robert H Hutton and Elsa Hutton
Robert Hayward Hutton was born in Saltburn in 1878. Robert’s uncle and grandfather lived in No 2 and No 3 pre and post 1881. Robert’s father, also called Robert, was a carpenter and seemed to move around the country; in 1871 he lived in Dundas St Saltburn and in 1876 he was in Cirencester, Gloucester where he met and married Anne Hayward. He moved back to Saltburn where they had 4 children including Robert H Hutton. In 1881 Robert Snr and all his family were in Formby, Lancashire and seemed to have stayed there, according to the census, except for Robert Jnr, who returned to Teesside to work as a joiner. In 1901 he was in lodgings in Bridgeford Terrace in Southbank. In 1916 he married Elizabeth Wood Duncan, the daughter of James and Elizabeth Duncan (nee Wood) who owned a Wool shop on Stanhope St, Saltburn. Robert changed professions from a carpenter and became a market gardener and had a large allotment and greenhouse adjacent to Saltburn cemetery.
This enhanced plan of 1913 shows the layout around Oxclose for much of the time from the turn of the century until the 1960’s.
This plan also shows the pond adjacent to the Keepers Cottage and a stream running down from Oxclose to Hazelgrove. This must have been diverted or buried underground at some time probably when the new housing estate was built in the early 1960’s
Verbal information given by an ex resident shows that in 1930’s the Cottage occupants were:
Ox Close Lodge Jack Edwards farmer
Evelyn Edwards wife
Willie Tyreman farm worker
No.2 (before the house was split into two cottages)
Charlie Hutton, Maude Hutton (his wife), Dorothy and Gladys Hutton (daughters)
No.3 William Hutton. He died in 1928 aged 66, his widow Dorothy Elisabeth Hutton, lived here with her two daughters Mary and Mable. (Mable was a school teacher and she appears not to have married as she had her maiden name when she died in 1973).
No.4 Norman Smith engine driver
Blanche Smith wife (nee Alcock)
Robert Smith son (later to marry Agnes Wilford)
Rona Smith daughter (later to marry Wilfred Snaith)
No.5 Thomas Walton, farmer (could this be Arthur Walton, who married Averil Featherstone? Maybe he liked the name Tom.)
Avril Walton wife, Tom Walton son, Frank Walton son
Mrs Walton’s mother, who was blind (Emma Caroline Featherstone nee Porritt, died 1982).
No.6 Robert Hutton market gardener, Mrs Hutton wife [daughter of
‘Duncans’ who had a wool shop at the end of Stanhope St.]
On February 6, 1918. The Representation of the People Act gave the vote to women over 30 who "occupied premises of a yearly value of not less than £5" (It was not until 1928 that the voting age for women was lowered to 21 in line with men). The electoral roll of 1918 shows that William Day and Elizabeth had by this time moved to 20 Montrose St, Saltburn from No5 Oxclose. John William Edwards was registered at Ox close (keeper’s cottage). In No2 were John Charles Hutton and his sister Maud. And at No 3 William Hutton was here as in 1911 with Dorothy Elizabeth his wife, and registered at No 4 was Elizabeth Alcock.
1920 electoral roll
Ox Close – John William Edwards and Evelyn Mary
No2 John Charles and Maud Hutton
No3 William and Dorothy Elizabeth Hutton
No4 Norman Smith
No6 Harry Walton and Ethel May Walton (born Henry Walton Taylor in 1886 Son of John Walton. He married Ethel May Dewing in 1912)
1926 from a Dundas Estate ledger shows that Henry (Harry) Walton was about to move out, to be replaced by Robert Hutton, nephew of William and John.
1 H Walton (R Hutton in 1927) [No 6 ]
2 A Walton [No5 [Arthur Walton, born 1884]]
3 H S Smith [No4 [? Could be spelling error]]
4 Wm Hutton [No3]
5 John Hutton [No2]
6 Byre – Wm Hutton
7 Roadway and Pond – various
8 Garden - ? Hutton
9 Cottage Byre, Pig sty, and stackyard J Edwards (note on ledger says see page 115 but this page could not be found in the records).
(A document found in the loft of No 3 shows some calligraphy work by William, dated 1875. William would have been 14 at this time and would be living in Saltburn but not at Oxclose).
In 1937 Jack Edwards applied to the Council for permission to build a milk house adjacent to the Keepers Cottage. It appears that the Medical Officer thought that the planned building was too close to (actually joined onto) the house, and the application was rejected.
The following shows the disapproved drawings with the amendments and final acceptance of the application.
Approved (amended) plan for milk house.
Further alterations took place at Oxclose when in 1938, The Zetland Estates Company, which still owned the cottages, must have decided that No 2 was large enough to be able to be split into two cottages. The reason for the conversion is not known presumably the rental income could be increased.
In the conversion, the left hand (looking from the front of the cottage) upper and lower windows were bricked up, and a flat roofed extension was added the rear of what was to be No 2. This extension was built using hand cut bricks and constructed with a lime mortar. A new door and windows were added to what was the side of the original cottage making it the new entrance of No 2. The cottage was literally split into two by a central double thickness brick partition which extends the full height and depth of the cottages. The very low ceilings of the old cottage were also raised between 12 to 18 inches.
To the rear of what is now No 2a, the rear door was moved from what would have been a central position in the old cottage, to a new position near the wall adjacent to No 3.
Approved planning application for conversion of No 2 Oxclose into two cottages. 1938
From verbal information and help from the electoral registers we find the following inhabitants of the cottages:
1938: Electoral Register:
Ox Close [known to us as the keeper’s cottage]. John William Edwards and Evelyn Mary
No2 Hubert Moody. [The last occupant of No 2 before it was split into two houses. He was born in Brotton in 1909 into an ironstone mining family and obviously only stayed here a short while as the cottage was split late 1938. Hubert died in Luton Bedfordshire in 1986].
No3 Dorothy E Hutton, Doris May and Mable Alice [Widow of William Hutton and her two daughters]
No4 Norman Smith and Blanche [Blanche was the sister of Evelyn Mary Edwards].
No5 and previously at No2 was John Charles Hutton with Gladys Mary (daughter) and Dorothy Mackensie Wood also Charlie’s daughter, who had married Maurice Wood. [Charlie’s wife, Maud Hutton (nee McKenzie) had died in 1937 Charlie Hutton died soon after, as in the following year a family called Garbutt was living here at No5 for a short time
No6 Robert Hutton and Elizabeth Wood Hutton.
[ William S Garbutt married Doris A Wilson q1 1927 Guisbro’.
Mary Garbutt b. 1927 d.1949 aged 22 Guisbro’ mother’s maiden name Wilson
Doreen Garbutt b.1928 Guisbro’ mother’s maiden name Wilson.
Sylvia Garbutt b.1931 Guisbro’ mother’s maiden name Wilson.
Donald W Garbutt b.1932 Guisbro’ mother’s maiden name Wilson.
The Garbutts were followed at No 5 by the Drinkwater family. ]
1939 Electoral Register:
No1 John William Edwards and Evelyn Mary
No2 No one registered as living here.
No2a Sydney Tindale and Edith Tindale – The first occupants of the new No2a, Sydney was born in Shipton, York, son of a builder Thomas Tindale. In the 1911 census he was employed as a master plasterer and living in Ayrsome St, Middlesbrough with his brothers Alwyn and Ernest. Sidney married Florence Hepburn in 1916 – the same year he joined the army. As Sydney was almost 33 when he joined, he was posted to a non-combatant company where he served in France.. Not sure who Edith is! ]
No3 Dorothy Elizabeth Hutton, Doris Mary and Mable Alice
No4 Norman Smith and Blanche Smith
No5 James Henry and Mary Jane Drinkwater with their children William Redvers Drinkwater and Lilian Mary Drinkwater.
No6 Robert Hutton and Elizabeth Wood Hutton
[ The Telephone directory of 1939 shows - Hutton, R, 6 Oxclose….. Saltburn 235]
1947 Electoral register:
No1 John William Edwards and Evelyn
No2 No one registered as living here.
No2a Sydney Tindale, Florence Tindale, Amy D Barrett and Alice Batt
No3 Dorothy Elizabeth Hutton and Mable Alice. Also a Sydney T Dawson?
No4 Norman S and Blanche Smith., with Norman R and Rona Smith [later to marry Wilfred Snaith of Lingdale].
No5 Mary Jane Drinkwater [now a widow, as James Henry died in 1947 aged 76] and Annie Williams.[Annie Williams was the maiden name of the wife of William Redvers Drinkwater, (Mary Jane’s son William and Annie married in 1945) – so why her maiden name was still on the electoral roll is a mystery. William died in 1986].
No6 Arthur and Laura E Sherwood and Vinnie Tong. Arthur Sherwood was born 12 June 1908 in Skelton. He married Laura Elizabeth Raspison who was born in Loftus in 1910. They married in 1932. . I don’t know yet what relation Lavinia (Vinnie) Tong was, or why she was there, but she died on the 1st April 1946 aged 60. Yet she was still registered here in 1947. She had moved back to Saltburn from Barnsley after her husband Smith Tong, an insurance agent, had died in 1943. Arthur and Laura had 3 children: Norman in 1933, Kathleen in 1936 and Ronald in 1939. Norman married Leah Collantine in 1955, Kath married a Mr. Ellison in 1962 and Ronald was married in 1961 to a Margaret Abbot.
1950 Electoral register:
No1 Evelyn M Edwards. [Jack Edwards died in 1948]
No2 No one registered as living here.
No2a Sidney Tindale, Florence Tindale, Gertrude. [Sydney Tindale died 1962 in North Yorkshire - may be our Sydney, but not yet verified. Florence died in 1968]
No3 Dorothy E Hutton [now aged 85] and daughter Mable A and a Sydney T Dawson, a lodger?
No5 Mary J Drinkwater (Mary died in 1951)
No6 Arthur and Laura E Sherwood. Arthur died in 1980, Laura in 1987.
John William (Jack) Edwards died late 1948; Evelyn moved out of the Lodge shortly afterwards and moved into No 5 Oxclose. William Pawson and his family (wife Selena, children Tony, John and Edith) were the next occupants of the Lodge. Selena (nee Hill) who William had married in 1941 ran the farm. William was a partner in a joinery firm in Marske and also ran an undertakers business. The telephone directory of 1958 shows:
“Pawson W, Join & Undtkr. 1 Ox Clo….. Saltburn 3305”
In 1960/61 the farm and its land were sold for housing redevelopment, and the Pawsons moved out of the lodge and into one of the newly built houses on Marton Gill (No 10). The Phone book entry reflects this move. The Lodge and the remains of the barns and outbuildings were all demolished and this was the demise of Ox Close farm.
1960’s and onwards:
No.2. James and Elizabeth Duncan lived here after retiring from the wool shop in Saltburn, (their daughter lived at no. 6). I have not as yet found any record as to when they moved in No 2 and they have not appeared in the electoral rolls for some reason, but they were remembered by an ex resident of no 4. They were followed by the Walshaw family, Christine Walshaw, born Christina Mary Wood on 28 Nov 1903. She married Ernest Edwin Walshaw in 1922. Ernest was born in 1901 in Middlesbrough. He was a game keeper employed by the Dundas/Zetland estate but apparently he died in the period between being offered the cottage and actually moving in. This was in 1966. Christine continued living in number 2 free of rent until around 1987. She died in October 1990.
In 1987 and 1988 no one at this address was registered to vote, so the occupants, if any, are not known at present. In 1989 John Donnelly and Christine Knox moved into No 2. They were married in June 1990 John aged 31 and Christine aged 28. Christine was here until 1999, when the current owners purchased the cottage. John Donnelly was not on the electoral roll after 1993 so I have no further details of what happened to him.
No 2a Oswald George Cherry born on 29 December 1894 in Richmond North Yorkshire. He moved to number 2a shortly after the previous tenants Sydney and Florence Tindale had either left or died (Sydney Tindale died in 1962 and Florence in 1968). Oswald was a carpenter by trade. He signed up with Royal Engineers 31st Aug 1916 and was part of the ‘Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force’ who fought against German and Turkish forces in an effort to maintain the oil supplies for the allied forces. He fought in the region now known as Iraq. He was of short stature - only 5’3’’ tall according to his army records. Oswald married Hilda Olive Morley in Hampstead in 1923, and lived a while in Howden near Goole where their daughter Delia was born. They spent time in Darlington and Richmond and went on to have 5 more children. Hilda died in Darlington in 1934 aged just 38. Oswald married again in 1936. Gertrude Windsor, his second wife died in 1971 and it was shortly after this that Oswald came to live at Oxclose.
Information received indicates that while living at Oxclose, Oswald worked for the Zetland Estates as a gardener. He lived at number 2a until about 1985. Apparently while living in the cottages I’ve heard that he had a pet rabbit, and to the amusement of onlookers often put a lead on the rabbit and took it for a walk. Oswald died in January 1987 aged 93.
From the mortgage deeds of No 2a it seems that funds were raised by ‘The Honourable Lawrence Dundas Earl of Ronaldsay by mortgage of the property to The Royal Bank of Scotland, in December 1963 and again in 1981. This seems to be about the time that the Zetland Estates Company started to sell off the cottages which until now had been had been rented out, often to employees of the company. In April 1985, Patricia and Gavin Cater purchased No 2a from the Zetland Estates Company. They were on the electoral roll here until 1986 and in 1987 no one was on the electoral register until between 1988 and 1990 a Susan Thurston was here followed by Susan Brown who later married Nigel Wheatley in 1997.
From 1999 to 2001 no one was on the electoral register.
No 3 Margaret Bell Sharp lived here from before 1973 until around 1990. She was born 1st June 1903 in Easington. I have been told that Margaret was private secretary to Lord Dundas and that she was engaged to an airman during the war, but he was killed in action and Margaret never married. She died in 1994 aged 91. No one here was on the electoral roll of 1991. In 1992 a Carol P Nichols was resident and the following year a Sarah Harrison was registered too. They were here until 1997 and in 1998 a Caroline Walls took residency along with Mark Foster in 1999 (this couple married in September 2003 in the Durham area).
No 4 Irene Brown lived here from before 1973 (the earliest electoral roll so far examined) and stayed here until 1992. Staying with Irene until 1978 was Annie Pickles she was born in May 1891 and passed away aged 88 in 1987. Irene was born in 1909 and her death was registered in 1993. At present little more is known about these two ladies.
In 1993 Martin and Katherine Bamber moved here. They were married in 1991. Katherine originally came from Newcastle, Martin from South Yorkshire. They stayed here until about 1998 when the current owners took possession.
No 5 Fanny E Clayton and Gladys Harriett Clear were living here pre 1973. Fanny Elizabeth Clayton was born 6 Dec 1889. Her death was registered in East Cleveland in early 1976. Gladys Harriett Clear was born 26 Mar 1891 and died in 1980; this was also the last year she was on the electoral roll at Oxclose. Again little is known of the lives of these ladies.
This was the first of the cottages to be sold off by the Dundas estate.
No 6 Arthur and Laura E Sherwood had lived here since the 1940’s, Laura (nee Raspison) was born in 1910 in Loftus. She married Arthur in Guisborough in 1932. Arthur died in 1983 but Laura was here until 1985.
A bit more info
Alteration to Marske Road.
This plan taken from the Ordnance Survey map of 1913 shows that there used to be a much sharper bend on Marske Road than there is at present, (just where it passes the petrol station). The road used to run alongside the wall at the front of the Cottages. This road was realigned sometime in the 1950’s to present a more gentle curve to the road, leaving a ‘C’ shaped area and a ‘lay by’ in front of where the petrol station is now, and grassed areas alongside Marske Road.
Before the alteration was made, there was an accident on 9th August 1951, when a motorcyclist was killed. He failed to take the bend correctly when approaching Saltburn and hit the ‘Saltburn’ sign at the side of the road.
This picture shows the current map courtesy of ‘Google Earth’, with the position of the old road shown dotted. This old road now forms part of the lay bye at the petrol station.
Oxclose pre 1950’s
Before changes were made to alter the angle of Marske Road.
That’s the story so far, but there is much more to discover - when I have the time to do some more investigating.
If anyone has any interest in any of the above (which you must have if you have battled your way through all of the above), or if you have any information or old photographs, then please get in touch and help me amend any errors or to fill in any gaps.
Read also Paul Sanderson’s reminiscences of Saltburn: Here